Friday, November 4, 2011

TGIF and Sewing Class Update!

Happy Friday everyone!


I know I say it every week, but seriously.....TGIF. I think Friday's are my favorite day....I mean Saturdays are great because you can sleep in and do whatever you want, BUT I think I love the anticipation of Saturday even more (if that makes any sense)!  Friday's you still have to go to work, but somehow there is an ease about them, somehow they're not as bad as the other work days because you know you get 2 days off!!  Also, I love going to bed on Friday nights knowing I can sleeppppp in till whenever!! Best feeling ever, right? 

Anyway, enough about how much I love Fridays. On to an update on my Pattern Drafting and Sewing class I've been taking on Thursday nights!  I only have 4 more classes to go, but I think I'm making good progress on my final skirt.  I've decided to create a maxi skirt like the one below:


I've been using this as my inspiration and fingers crossed that I execute it the right way!  At this point, I'm just working on my paper pattern for the skirt, so the next step is to create it out of muslin (which for those of you who are not sewers, muslin is an inexpensive fabric that is often used for patterns).  This weekend, I am going shopping for my actual fabric and I'm hoping to find a silk blend maybe....not sure yet, we'll see!

Here is a close up picture of the skirt:


I am going to create pockets on the sides, but I'm not sure whether I will do the invisible kind (kidney pockets) or ones like the above.  We'll see how ambitious I get...  I also think I am going to have the closure in the back with an invisible zipper--not on the side like this picture looks. 

Anyway, that's my thoughts!  I will definitely keep you updated and show you pictures of my progress.  This class was expensive, but totally worth it!  My teacher is great and she's been showing us tutorials every week on something new like waistbands, pockets, zippers, ruffles, etc. I still think I have a long way to go but I'm totally excited about how much more I already know!

With Christmas around the corner, I'm thinking I will use my money to get a sewing machine because I'm going to need it (especially once my class is over and I will have to sew at home).  Anybody have suggestions of which kind to get?  I know a little about them and the one I'm working on in my class is like $500 so I'm totally get spoiled by this fancy-shmancy machine....but I will not be spending $500 on it. So if anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Enjoy your weekends!

5 comments:

Ashley M. said...

I love that you're taking sewing classes! That is one of my goals before I have kids.. I want to learn to sew and invest in a sewing and embroidery machine! I can't wait to see what all you make!

Meg {henninglove} said...

i love you are taking a sewing class too. cant wait to see what you create especially the maxi skirt because if it is anything like the photos it will be gorgeous!

Hilliary@ Happily Ever Healthy said...

Love the skirt you are doing!I cannot wait to see how it turns out! I will see if my mom knows of any good sewing machines! Have a fabulous weekend! Can't waiit for our girls weekend!

Fashion Meets Food said...

I really need to take a sewing class. I have no idea how to sew with or without a sewing machine! xo

Gameday Stylist said...

So fun! I want to take sewing class :)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates