Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Flat Tuesday...

Happy Wednesday everyone!

So yesterday was a great day..............................I got my first flat tire EVER. On the highway {of course}.  I don't know about you but do not know how to change a flat tire!  I never had to learn since I never had one, and my Dad never taught me.


Soooo, here I am on the highway on my way back from lunch to the office, and after driving on my flat for like 2 miles, I realize that loud noise is in fact MY car....and it is in fact MY tire which is making it difficult to go fast.  I pull over and immediately call my husband {whom I know is at work and most likely can't answer the phone} and he doesn't answer so I text him basically saying WHAT DO I DO? I realize at this point, we don't have AAA so that's not an option.  I'm out of warranty with my MINI so their Roadside Assistance will probably cost me a bunch, so I realize that's more of a last resort.

I then decide to call my Mom.......who lives in Miami, Florida.  Yes, I call from Ohio to Miami to say I have a flat tire....help.  She doesn't answer either!  So now after digging through my MINI booklet, I decide to call my office to just let them know where I am and that I'll be late coming back to the office.  Luckily, my co-worker who I called was like "Oh, let me ask if any of the guys around the office can come help you". Sounds good to me! 

5 minutes later, she calls me back saying my boss and another co-worker are coming to my rescue!  20 minutes later they were there, and it took them all of 15 minutes to get it changed!  I felt like an idiot but there was no way I could figure out how to change this tire.  I spent 20 minutes reading in my manual about where the tire tool kit was in my car and where the spare tire was even located! Luckily, I have very helpful co-workers who came to my rescue so they both got fresh baked cookies from me this morning!


I must admit....this all could have been prevented!  My car lets me know when my tires are low and the symbol had been on for like months.  The reason I was ignoring it is because when the temperature drops, the light always comes on!  Since I've had the MINI, its always done this and when I've asked the dealership about it, they said that's normal {has something to do with the cold and the pressure}.  So, I just kept ignoring it thinking "Oh it wasn't that long ago that I put air in the tires."  Yea......learned my lesson! 

I also was due to get all my tires changed.......back in November! Are you sensing a pattern here?  I may be prone to putting stuff off when it comes to my car....  So needless to say, when I went after work to get a new tire, I had to get all 4 because my other 3 were really bad.  I just hate how much it costs to get things fixed or work done on your car!

So anyway, that's the story of my first flat tire!  Have any of you had flat tires before?  What did you do?

7 comments:

mrsj said...

Dislike!!! I had a guy waving at me the other day in the car next to me. Kinda flattered, kinda freaked out. Finally I looked over and rolled my window down because he seemed concerned. He the proceded to ask me if I knew that I had been driving with a flat tire for the past about 10 miles.

Tales of an HBS Wife said...

I've never had one *knock on wood* and thank goodness I have AAA, because all my co-workers are female and I sure as heck don't know how to change one :)

April of A. Liz Adventures said...

I hate a flat tire - they always come at the most inconvenient times. We are AAA members for that reason!

Nat said...

Oh no- I've had 2 or 3 I think and I've always thankfully had someone with me or nearby who could change it. Good thing your boss and co-worker were able to help

Jen Drelicharz said...

When I was a senior in high school, I was in Kiawah with my family and brought one of my friends. It was a rainy day so my friend and I drove to the nearest video rental place which was 15 miles away (on a deserted country road). On our way back, we got a flat. We pulled into this driveway and tried to change the tire ourselves but couldn't get the jack to work. Then some guy comes out of the house attached to the driveway and I was like, please don't be a psycho serial killer. Anyway, he was very nice and changed the tire for us.

Rita said...

Never have, but I know how to change a flat tire. One of the rules we have at home is this: You can’t drive or own a car, unless you know how to change a flat tire. Simple rule, but it makes all the sense in the world. It’s like owning a cell phone and not knowing how to change its settings. Make it a habit to do maintenance check, even for short trips.

Rita McCall

Enoch Ross said...

As a responsible car owner, you need to know at least basic car repairs. Good thing you have kind-hearted co-workers who immediately responded to you. Next time, as soon as you feel that there’s something wrong, have it checked right away.

-Enoch Ross

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates