Monday, December 2, 2013

Penelope's Birth Story


I cannot believe my sweet Penelope is already going to be 1 month old soon!  Where has the time gone? On the other hand, holy cow...this has been a LONG 1 month!  I knew having a baby was going to be tough, but I feel like until I actually had Penelope-I didn't actually know how tough it would be!  Everyone says it gets better around 6 weeks so I'm just looking towards that right now.  For now, here are the deets with how my labor went down...

On Wednesday, November 6th, I got woken up at 4:45AM by my husband's alarm.  Side note: I don't know why I started calling him Doc on here but I'm going to refer to him by his real name, John, from now on!  Normally his alarm doesn't wake me up, but for some reason it did on this day and once I was up, I realized I was feeling crampy.  I had what felt like mild menstrual cramps, but I wasn't sure if it was just Braxton Hicks contractions so I laid there and waited.  Well 2 hours later, I still could not fall back to sleep and was still having these pains so I decided to just get up and change what I was doing to see if that made the pains go away.  I had my breakfast and sat on the couch and still the pains did not go away so I called John and my mom to let them know what I was feeling.  My mom was like yup, sounds like its the beginnging of contractions! She said go shower and get what you need done now because I think you're having this baby today. 

My mom's flight was scheduled for the next day {my due date}, but once she realized what was happening, she promptly changed it to come in that night.  My in-laws live 3 hours away so they had already planned on driving in that day, so I went about my day and prepared to have lunch with them. Once they arrived, John was able to get out of work so we all went to lunch.  At this point, the pains I was feeling had gone away for a couple hours but once we went to lunch, they came back.  They started to get a little stronger and felt like they were coming in waves but they weren't defined enough that I could time them {we tried but they were still too mild}

Around 4:45PM, the pains were definitely getting worse and it was at this point that I was like yea, ok...I'm going into labor!  I called my OB and she was like well, we're really looking for contractions that you can't talk through {which I obviously wasn't having yet} so she told me to go for a walk and call them back in an hour to let them know how I was feeling.  John and I put our coats on and walked around my neighborhood for the next hour.  By the end of our walk, I had to keep stopping every 5 minutes or so because a contraction would come and it was getting painful!  We called my OB back and she was still not totally convinced I was ready but since I live so close to the hospital, she told me to come in anyway and see if I had made any progress. 

On Monday of this week, I was 4cm dilated and about 90-100% effaced already so I was sure I had made more progress.  Nope! When I got to the hospital, I went into triage and I was still only 4cm dilated.  My OB asked if I could walk around for another hour or two and then come back.  My contractions were painful at this point but not TOO painful that I couldnt walk around so I said yes, I'll do some walking. 

John and I walked around the hospital for the next 45 minutes and let me tell you...I thought my contractions were painful BEFORE? Now they were so bad, I had my head buried into the walls of the hospital, crying....yea now I knew what the OB was talking about!  We headed back up to triage, and I had progressed to 5cm so they finally admitted me and the whole process really got started!

They offered me some pain medication that I promptly took, but it didn't seem to help much {it only made me feel loopy and giggly} so I got my epidural shortly after.  I had always planned to have an epidural so I wanted to make sure I got it before it got too late.  I don't know how some women do this without an epidural! 

Once I got the epidural, I was feeling GREAT! I totally lost track of time at this point, but all of a sudden my mom and in laws walked in {which surprised me that they were already there...I thought it was way earlier in the night then it was} so we got to sit and spend some time with them before it was time to push.  Then, I got to pushing and I think I pushed for about 3 hours.  It felt like an eternity until Penelope's head came out.  I was sooooooo exhausted at this point because I had been up since 4:45am and it was around 3am now.  I pushed and pushed and pushed with everything I had and I was really surprised by how much pain I still felt with an epidural!  That was one thing I did not expect!  Penelope finally came out and it was amazing to see her little face on my chest.  She came out with the biggest cry ever and luckily was completely healthy!




In the end, my labor was about 8 1/2 hours which isn't too bad for a first time mom!  My poor mom and in-laws were so tired by the time Penelope was born, but they were troopers and stayed up!


I'll be back with an update on Penelope and how this first month has been! 

4 comments:

April of A. Liz Adventures said...

Thank you for sharing this - she is a true beauty and I'm so happy for you and John!

Toni :O) said...

Pushing for three hours?! I'm exhausted just reading that. Glad it all worked out because she's a beauty! It does get easier by the way!

Jodi said...

Congrats! I can't imagine pushing that long.

Jenny said...

Congrats! I'd been following you along during your pregnancy and your daughter is beautiful! My birth story sounded very similar to yours! My daughter is 9 weeks and it definitely got easier around 5-6 weeks. She started sleeping through the night around this time and started smiling!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates